Monday, April 18, 2005

A project brewing in my brain

I've always been interesting in shotguns. Actually guns. Any kind. Any type. But one thing that has always rattles around in my brain was the thought of going a whole year hunting with nothing but a shotgun. Big game. Small game. Birds, of course. Recent slug technology has made this thought seem even more likely to be successful.

I am thinking that for the 2005 - 2006 hunting year (7/1/05 - 6/30/06) of using just a shotgun. I will make an exception should I get lucky enough to be draw for a premium tag here in CA, or make an out of state hunt, then I will use whatever firearm I deem best for that occasion.

So which shotgun? I am thinking of going one of two ways with this. One option is an old Marlin Goose Gun I saw on the "used and abused" rack of a local gunshop. It has a 26" barrel with the Marlin facoty C-Lect Choke. Looks like a Poly-Choke to me. Another option, and the way I am leaning, is to use a Remington 870 with a vent rib barrel of about 22" long that is set up for the Rem-Choke system. I can use a rifled chock tube for slugs, and the appropriate tubes for different bird hunting. I'm not interested in using different barrels, I feel that would be cheating. What are your thoughts? I am interested in knowing. Email me with your opinions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home