Saturday, April 16, 2005

The Target

I always hold a 6 o'clock hold right at the bottom of the 5.5" Shoot~N~See target. With my handloads that will put the shots between the number 10 and the 10 ring at 12 o'clock. About 3" high at 100 yards, which is how I like it. Shots #1, #2 & #3 were shot with the forearm and buttstock supported by sandbags. #1 and #3 cut the very top of the target, hitting about 5.5" high. Shot #2 is slightly higher and to the right. It was a called flyer as the gentleman shooting 2 benches over touched off a .300 mag just as I was squeezing the trigger, causing a slight flinch.

Shots #4 & #5 were fired using a sandbag rest with the buttstock supported by me. That is how I also usually shoot my handloads. They were closer to the usual impact point of my handloads and pretty close to an inch apart. This target is useful as it is a good example of how different holds will deliver a different point of impact, even using the exact same aiming point. The fact the 2 shots which were held the same as the hold I use for testing handloads came in just a little high also shows how different ammo will have different impacts. I still have some different factory rounds. I think I'll take another trip to the range and hopefully have another instructive target to show you.


Instructive Target

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home