Monday, June 27, 2005

A Modest Proposal

I read a filler in this morning’s paper which referenced hurricanes. That brought back to mind something from a year or two ago. It seems a congresscritterette is of the opinion that the current naming system for hurricanes is too euro-centric. I don’t recall exactly who this particular congresscritterette was, but I am sure she was from the “Whatever you do is racist but I can’t be racist since I’m a woman of color” wing of the Demoncrat party.

Since we recently began a new hurricane season (June 1) I’ve decided maybe we should honor her request, but with a twist. All of the given names (first names) of the 535 members of the U.S. Congress shall be listed and sorted by computer and ranked from 1 to 535. In case of the same given name a middle name shall be used. If there are still duplicates we’ll number them like the Popes.

The random rankings by the computer will be the hurricane names for the upcoming season. The first hurricane will no longer be Alice, Alfred or Abilgale, but could be Maxine, Fortney or William.

Why, you ask? It’s simple. Hurricane: high winds. Congress: hot air. Hurricane: rain. Congress: all wet. Hurricane: brings sudden havoc & destruction. Congress: brings havoc & destruction to the lives of the American People through stupid laws passed hurriedly.

That’s my modest proposal for today.

Edit @ 7:30PM: If you read my Friday post about the Court decision on Eminent Domain, you can go to Dave Markowitz's "Blog O'stuff" and see how the vultures are already circling. If you didn't read my Friday post, scroll down and read it, then go check Dave's post from today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home