Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Earthquake Preparedness - Water

As I promised yesterday, I will tell on myself about how badly I had let my disaster/earthquake kit deteriorate, and what I am planning to do to rectify the situation.

Today we'll talk about emergency water supplies.

All the sources I've checked said 1 gallon per person per day is the right amount to set aside. How many days is the question. The minimum appears to be 3 days worth, 7 days being even better. For a family of four, that means up to 28 gallons. Not impossible. However, I do recall reading an article 2 (or more) years ago which stated in the event of a catastrophic earthquake, the water supply to the bay area could be lost. I seem to recall that article claiming it would take 90 days to re-establish a basic/emergency level of service, and up to 2 years to restore full service. But my memory could be wrong about that. I could not find that article online, but I did find this article on the InsideBayArea.com website which states that ' "The Bay Area's Sierra Hetch Hetchy water supply is highly vulnerable to disruption for up to 60 days following a major earthquake," stated Betsy Lauppe Rhodes, a spokeswoman for the utility, in an e-mail.'

Is it feasible to store 60 gallons of water, per person? I guess that depends on how much room you have for storage. Imagine placing a 55 gallon drum of water in each person's bedroom in your home. Makes it kind of a daunting task, doesn't it?

Now comes the "tell on myself" part. I used to always have a couple extra cases of bottled water. They run about 3 gallons per case. Right now, I have 1/2 of a case. I do drink bottled water constantly, and when my awareness is heightened I will have several cases on hand. But as time goes by and I use my stock, I replace them at a more leisurely rate. What I am thinking of doing is buying those 2-1/2 gallon jugs for the kit storage, that way I won't be so tempted to use them when I run out of bottled water.

Don't forget, your hot water heater will probably have 35+ gallons of water available, and if you have a pool or hot tub you have another source. Just be sure to have a good water filter. If you have a well on your property, make sure you have a means of getting water if the electricity is out.

Here is a link with good info about Water Filters, Purifiers and Storage


One thing I have done, and still do, is reuse those water bottles. I read one time that a freezer should be around 75% - 80% full to operate at peak efficiency. So I started filling water bottles with tap water and placing them in the freezer (or removing them) to maintain about 80% space used. That will provide extra water, but since that amount is constantly fluctuating I will not count it as part of my supply. In addition to being a source of water, if the electricity is out for an extended period of time, these frozen bottles will help keep foodstuffs cold.

That's it for now, your comments, suggestions and ideas are always appreciated.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home