Sunday, August 05, 2007

Barry & A-Rod

As I noted in my previous post, Barry Bonds hit his 755th home run last night. What I didn't comment on was Alex Rodriguez hitting his 500th home run earlier in the day. I find that interesting in that A-Rod is picked by many to be the one who surpasses Bonds for the career home run title. I expect that will happen. A-Rod was the youngest to ever reach 500 home runs. Assuming he hits another 25 this year (about his current pace), and plays 8 more years averaging 35 per year, that would give him 795 home runs. Would that be enough? I think so. Barry Bonds has hit 21 this year, or roughly 1 every 5 games. With 57 games left, that projects out to 11 more, or 766 for his career. I may be a little higher once the pressure of chasing the record is gone, but I don't think it would be much higher. Will Barry reach 800? I doubt it. He would have to suddenly get on a home run hot streak. Pitchers have to pitch to him, not around him. Finally, he would most likely have to play another year, something I don't see happening. Not that Barry may not want to play another year and pad his record (and seek 3000 hits), but I don't see any team willing to take him, and his baggage, on.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home