Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Can The Democratic Party Be Changed?

I have been a lifelong Republican, only to see my faith in the GOP wane over the years. In fact, I am more Libertarian then Republican. There are still areas where I think the Libertarian position is better than what is being offered by either of the 2 major parties, and areas where I think the L position is outdated (open borders for example).

Below is a post I made on an email list I belong to:


> -----Original Message-----
> From: fidoguns@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:fidoguns@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of (Redacted)
>
> We don't have to call it the Libertarian party as such, just
> so long as
> the common man recognizes that we are the libertarians,

My Rresponse:

This is just my opinion, but I don't think the "comman man" will ever embrace the Libertarian platform, and the more he knows about it the more likely he will be to distance himself from it. Especially if "Mr. Common Man" is married to "Mrs. Soccer Mom."

That's why the more I think about it, the more Joe's comment about invading the Democratic Party makes sense to me. They have billed themselves as "The Party of the Common Man" for so long that most people buy it hook, line & sinker. Let's face it, we're never going to get rid of the welfare state programs in our lifetimes. Most D's that I know are concerned about items like Social Security, Medical Care, Crime, Education.... the list goes on & on. We'll never get rid of them, but we can work to moderate them. They don't buy into the radical left's solutions. They are for the most part conservative, or what we might refer to as moderates.

Most D's that I know could care less about abortion on demand, are against gay marriage and want us to keep our guns. They support our troops and what we are trying to do in Iraq, and would be happy as could be if we bombed the Muslims back into the stone age.

Most D's I know want controlled immigration and secure borders. They want economic opportunity for their children and grandchildren. They want a decent education for them and could care less about their "self-esteem" as long as they learn the basics.

That's why I think we have an opportunity to maybe not take over the Democratic Party, but to get enough conservative elements inside it to mitigate the damage the leftists could cause.

There's my 2 cents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home